Old Testament Hebrew Lexical Dictionary
Strong's #06113 - עָצַר
1) to restrain, retain, close up, shut, withhold, refrain, stay, detain
1a1) to restrain, halt, stop
1a2) to retain
1b) (Niphal) to be restrained, be stayed, be under restraint
V) ryo (אהתסר AhTsR) - Stop: To stop from occurring in the sense of halting, shutting or restraining. KJV (46): (vf: Paal, Niphal) shut, stay, retain, detain, able, withhold, keep, prevail, recover, refrain, reign - Strongs: H6113 (עָצַר)
Jeff Brenner, Ancient Hebrew Research Center Used by permission of the author.
עָצַר fut. יַעֲצֹר and יַעְצֹר
(1) to shut. (The primary idea is that of surrounding, enclosing; see the kindred roots חָצַר, אָצַר, אָזַר, and those which are there compared. Arab. عصر is, to prohibit, to refuse, غضر to hold back, to restrain, like the Heb. No. 2); e.g. to shut up heaven (so that it may not rain), Deuteronomy 11:17; 2 Chronicles 7:13 a woman, (so as not to bear,) Genesis 16:2, 20:18 (where it is construed with בְּעַד, see No. 3); comp. Isai. 66:9 also to shut up in prison, 2 Kings 17:4; Jeremiah 33:1, 36:5 39:15. Followed by מִפְּנֵי 1 Chronicles 12:1, עָצוּר מִפְּנֵי שָׁאוּל “shut up from the face of Saul,” so that he might not see the face of Saul, or, “shut up at home for fear of Saul” (compare عصر IV. to keep oneself at home).
(2) to hold back, to detain any one any where, 1 Kings 18:44; Judges 13:16 followed by לְ 2 Kings 14:26 followed by בְּ Job 12:15, יַעְצֹר בַּמַּיִם “he will withhold the waters.” Job 4:2, עֲצֹר בְּמִלִּין “to restrain words.” Job 29:9. There is a peculiar phrase only used in the later Hebrew, עָצַר כֹּחַ to restrain strength, to be strong, Daniel 10:8, 16 Daniel 10:16, 11:6 2 Chronicles 13:20 followed by לְ to have ability to do any thing, to be able, 1 Chronicles 29:14; 2 Chronicles 2:5, 22:9 and even without כֹּחַ 2 Chronicles 20:37, 14:10.
(3) to restrain by rule, to rule, followed by בְּ 1 Samuel 9:17. See עֶצֶר.
(1) to be shut up (used of heaven), 1 Kings 8:35; 2 Chronicles 6:26.
(2) to be restrained, hindered, Numbers 17:13, 15 Nu1 7:15 2 Samuel 24:21, 25 2 Samuel 24:25; Psalms 106:30.
(3) to be gathered together (from the idea of restraining, compelling, see עֲצָרָה ), especially to a festival (עֲצָרָה). 1 Samuel 21:8, נֶעְצָר לִפְנֵי יְהֹוָה “gathered [Engl. Ver. detained] before Jehovah.”
Hence are derived the three following nouns, also מַעְצָר, מַעְצֹור.
the Sixth Week after Easter